For those of you wondering if Wii Punchout!! will ONLY have Wii motion controls, take a breather cause the classic controls WILL be featured. When Wii Punchout!! was first announced I know many Punchout!! fans were worried that the controls they were raised on would be left off and forced to play with the “Wii Sports Boxing” control system instead. Kotaku commented: Nintendo in a Press release today announced two juicy bits of news.
1. Classic NES Controls would accompany the already announced Wii motion sensor controls
According toof America’s press site, the alternate control scheme has the same button layout as the NES controller, using the D-pad to dodge, with the 1 and 2 buttons used to throw punches. Big deal? Maybe we’re just excited for the upcoming blister possibilities. So much better than perspiring while gaming.
2. The original characters from Mike Tyson’s Punchout!! would be returning. Here are the list of fighters that will be in the game:
Nintendo didn’t reveal much more beyond that, merely reconfirming the appearances of boxers Little Mac, Glass Joe, King Hippo, Doc Louis, and Von Kaiser, plus “other unannounced favorites.”
More from GoNintendo:
One of the biggest names in boxing returns after a 15-year hiatus. Grab a Wii Remote™ controller in one hand and a Nunchuk™ controller in the other and step back into the ring with a modern update of the classic Punch-Out!!
* Little Mac is back! Everyone’s favorite underdog from the 1980s joins the best of the original Punch-Out!! cast in a modern re-imagination of the series. Players will find familiar names like Glass Joe, King Hippo and trainer Doc Louis. These boxers come to life again in cel-shaded 3-D, complete with hilarious fighting animations and back stories that capture all the fun and flair of the original Punch-Out!! games.
* The motion-sensitive controls of the Wii console mean that when players throw punches, Little Mac throws punches as well. Additionally, you can control hooks and jabs by combining motion control with control-stick movement. The motion-sensing Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers turn real-life swings into on-screen punches, so anyone can play. The game can also be played with classic NES-style controls by turning the Wii Remote sideways.
Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Players can obtain special “Star Punches,” which allow Little Mac to take more Health from his rival in a single punch.
* Motion Control (Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers)
Punch-Out!! uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers to simulate throwing punches. Use the Nunchuk to throw a left punch and the Wii Remote to throw a right punch.
* Classic Control (Wii Remote NES™ style)
Fans of the NES version and core gamers will be excited to see Nintendo has also included the option to play Punch-Out!! using the classic layout from the original NES controller. Use the 1 and 2 buttons along with the cross pad to throw hooks and jabs or to dodge.
Look for Punchout!! to hit stores in May, until get your Virtual Console Fixin’ of Mr. Dreams Punchou!! Yuck!